51. What is the fate of the male gametes discharged in the synergid?
(1) One fuses with egg other(s) degenerate (s) in the synergid.
(2) All fuse with the egg.
(3) One fuses with the egg, other(s) fuse(s) with synergid nucleus.
(4) One fuses with the egg and other fuses with central cell nuclei.
Answer (4) One fuses with the egg and other fuses with central cell nuclei.
52. What is the site of perception of photoperiod necessary for induction of flowering in plants?
(1) Lateral buds (2) Pulvinus (3) Shoot apex (4) Leaves
Answer (4) Leaves
53. Select the correctly written scientific name of Mango which was first described by Carolus Linnaeus
(1) Mangifera indica Car. Linn.
(2) Mangifera indica Linn.
(3) Mangifera indica
(4) Mangifera Indica
Ans: (2) Mangifera indica Linn.
54. Following statements describe the characteristics of the enzyme Restriction Endonuclease. Identify the incorrect statement.
(1) The enzyme cuts DNA molecule at identified position within the DNA.
(2) The enzyme binds DNA at specific sites and cuts only one of the two strands.
(3) The enzyme cuts the sugar-phosphate backbone at specific sites on each strand.
(4) The enzyme recognizes a specific palindromic nucleotide sequence in the DNA.
Answer (2) The enzyme binds DNA at specific sites and cuts only one of the two strands.
55. From evolutionary point of view, retention of the female gametophyte with developing young embryo on the parent sporophyte for some time, is first observed in
(1) Liverworts (2) Mosses (3) Pteridophytes (4) Gymnosperms
Answer: (3) Pteridophytes
56. In Antirrhinum (Snapdragon), a red flower was crossed with a white flower and in F1 generation pink flowers were obtained. When pink flowers were selfed, the F2 generation showed white, red and pink flowers. Choose the incorrect statement from the following :
(1) This experiment does not follow the Principle of Dominance.
(2) Pink colour in F1 is due to incomplete dominance.
(3) Ratio of F2 is 1/ 4 (Red) : 2/ 4 (Pink) : 1/ 4 (White)
(4) Law of Segregation does not apply in this experiment
Ans: (4) Law of Segregation does not apply in this experiment
57. Conversion of glucose to glucose-6-phosphate, the first irreversible reaction of glycolysis, is catalyzed by
(1) Aldolase (2) Hexokinase (3) Enolase (4) Phosphofructokinase
Answer: (2) Hexokinase
58. Drug called ‘Heroin’ is synthesized by
(1) methylation of morphine (2) acetylation of morphine
(3) glycosylation of morphine (4) nitration of morphine
Answer: (2) acetylation of morphine
59. Select the hormone-releasing Intra-Uterine Devices.
(1) Vaults, LNG-20
(2) Multiload 375, Progestasert
(3) Progestasert, LNG-20
(4) Lippes Loop, Multiload 375
Answer:(3) Progestasert, LNG-20
60. A gene locus has two alleles A, a. If the frequency of dominant allele A is 0.4, then what will be the frequency of homozygous dominant, heterozygous and homozygous recessive individuals in the population?
(1) 0.36(AA); 0.48(Aa); 0.16(aa)
(2) 0.16(AA); 0.24(Aa); 0.36(aa)
(3) 0.16(AA); 0.48(Aa); 0.36(aa)
(4) 0.16(AA); 0.36(Aa); 0.48(aa)
Answer: (3) 0.16(AA); 0.48(Aa); 0.36(aa)