21. Concanavalin A is
(1) an alkaloid (2) an essential oil (3) a lectin (4) a pigment
Answer (3) a lectin
22. Which one of the following equipments is essentially required for growing microbes on a large scale, for industrial production of enzymes?
(1) BOD incubator (2) Sludge digester (3) Industrial oven (4) Bioreactor
Answer (4) Bioreactor
23. Consider the following statement :
(A) Coenzyme or metal ion that is tightly bound to enzyme protein is called prosthetic group.
(B) A complete catalytic active enzyme with its bound prosthetic group is called apoenzyme.
Select the correct option:
(1) Both (A) and (B) are true.
(2) (A) is true but (B) is false.
(3) Both (A) and (B) are false.
(4) (A) is false but (B) is true.
24. Purines found both in DNA and RNA are
(1) Adenine and thymine
(2) Adenine and guanine
(3) Guanine and cytosine
(4) Cytosine and thymine
25. Select the correct sequence for transport of sperm cells in male reproductive system.
(1) Testis -> Epididymis -> Vasa efferentia -> Rete testis -> Inguinal canal->Urethra
(2) Seminiferous tubules ->Rete testis-> Vasa efferentia ->Epididymis->Vas deferens ->Ejaculatory duct -> Urethra-> Urethra l meatus
(3) Seminiferous tubules-> Vasa efferentia -> Epididymis -> Inguinal canal ® Urethra
(4) Testis ->Epididymis->Vasa efferentia ->Vas deferens-> Ejaculatory duct ®Inguinal canal -> Urethra-> Urethral meatus
Answer: (2) Seminiferous tubules -> Rete testis->Vasa efferentia ->Epididymis-> Vas deferens ->Ejaculatory duct -> Urethra-> Urethral meatus
26. Match the hominids with their correct brain size :
(a) Homo habilis (i) 900 cc
(b) Homo neanderthalensis (ii) 1350 cc
(c) Homo erectus (iii) 650-800 cc
(d) Homo sapiens (iv) 1400 cc
27.Select the correct option. (a) (b) (c) (d)
(1) (iii) (i) (iv) (ii)
(2) (iii) (ii) (i) (iv)
(3) (iii) (iv) (i) (ii)
(4) (iv) (iii) (i) (ii)
Answer (3): (3) (iii) (iv) (i) (ii)
28. Variations caused by mutation, as proposed by Hugo de Vries are
(1) random and directional (2) random and directionless
(3) small and directional (4) small and directionless
Answer (2) (2) random and directionless
29. Which of the following pair of organelles does not contain DNA?
(1) Mitochondria and Lysosomes
(2) Chloroplast and Vacuoles
(3) Lysosomes and Vacuoles
(4) Nuclear envelope and Mitochondria
Answer (3) Lysosomes and Vacuoles
30. Due to increasing air-borne allergens and pollutants, many people in urban areas are suffering from respiratory disorder causing wheezing due to
(1) benign growth on mucous lining of nasal cavity
(2) inflammation of bronchi and bronchioles
(3) proliferation of fibrous tissues and damage of the alveolar walls
(4) reduction in the secretion of surfactants by pneumocytes.
Answer (2) inflammation of bronchi and bronchioles