41. Thiobacillus is a group of bacteria helpful in carrying out
(1) Nitrogen fixation
(2) Chemoautotrophic fixation
Ans: (4) Denitrification
42. Which of the following factors is responsible for the formation of concentrated urine?
(1) Low levels of antidiuretic hormone
(2) Maintaining hyperosmolarity towards inner medullary interstitium in the kidneys.
(3) Secretion of erythropoietin by Juxtaglomerular complex
(4) Hydrostatic pressure during glomerular filtration
Ans: (2) Maintaining hyperosmolarity towards inner medullary interstitium in the kidneys.
43. Which of the following statements regarding mitochondria is incorrect?
(1) Outer membrane is permeable to monomers of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
(2) Enzymes of electron transport are embedded in outer membrane.
(3) Inner membrane is convoluted with infoldings.
(4) Mitochondrial matrix contains single circular DNA molecule and ribosomes.
Ans: (2) Enzymes of electron transport are embedded in outer membrane.
44. Xylem translocates.
(1) Water only
(2) Water and mineral salts only
(3) Water, mineral salts and some organic nitrogen only
(4) Water, mineral salts, some organic nitrogen and hormones
Ans: (4) Water, mineral salts, some organic nitrogen and hormones
(1) exit the cell cycle (2) enter the cell cycle (3) suspend the cell cycle (4) terminate the cell cycle
Ans: (1) exit the cell cycle
46. Which of the following ecological pyramids is generally inverted?
(1) Pyramid of numbers in grassland
(2) Pyramid of energy
(3) Pyramid of biomass in a forest
(4) Pyramid of biomass in a sea
Answer: (4) Pyramid of biomass in a sea
47. Placentation in which ovules develop on the inner wall of the ovary or in peripheral part, is
(1) Basal (2) Axile (3) Parietal (4) Free central
Answer (3) Parietal
48. Which of the following protocols did aim for reducing emission of chlorofluorocarbons into the atmosphere?
(1) Montreal Protocol (2) Kyoto Protocol (3) Gothenburg Protocol (4) Geneva Protocol
Answer (1) Montreal Protocol
49. Which of the following contraceptive methods do involve a role of hormone?
(1) Lactational amenorrhea, Pills Emergency contraceptives.
(2) Barrier method, Lactational amenorrhea, Pills.
(3) CuT, Pills, Emergency contraceptives.
(4) Pills, Emergency contraceptives, Barrier methods.
Answer (1) Lactational amenorrhea, Pills Emergency contraceptives.
50. Tidal Volume and Expiratory Reserve Volume of an athlete is 500 mL and 1000 mL, respectively. What will be his Expiratory Capacity if the Residual Volume is 1200 mL?
(1) 1500 mL (2) 1700 mL (3) 2200 mL (4) 2700 mL
Answer (1) 1500 mL